Sunday, March 4, 2012

Parli itliano?

Italy is a relatively young country; it was previously made up of city states (now called regions) and each region is quite distinct--with its own personality, dialect and cuisine. I was reading about how what I think is Italian food isn't even served in all regions of Italy. I feel like in Rome, I will definitely get more of the typical Italian Food given that it is a big city and a tourist attraction, but it's good to be prepared when I take a day trip, or look into another part of Italy, to not go to Italy as a complete uninformed tourist who thinks that the stereotypes I've learned about in America hold true everywhere in Italy.
Another thing I was reading about was how things are purchased in Italy--just about everywhere except train stations and hotels prefer..or moreso EXPECT to be paid in cash. It's often viewed at an inconvenience to use your visa to pay for dinner at a restaurant. I definitely use my credit card for EVERYTHING I buy here, so it will be a huge change for me to carry around cash. I'm definitely a bit of a forgetful person, so I'll definitely have to look into ways to keep my cash safe, without looking like a total tourist with a fanny pack...


The last thing I was reading about, that I felt like was really interesting about Italy, is how everyone is late for just about everything, and that's  not only acceptable, it's expected. Even the trains run late! Not that I would ever show up late for a train ride (because I wouldn't to risk missing it), but it will definitely be a transition for me to purposely show up late, and not feel guilty about it. 


I still think my best bet for  everything Italy is to learn as much as I can about it now, and then--as the old quote says--"Do what the Romans do." I'll watch, listen, learn and do. :)



No comments:

Post a Comment