Monday, March 26, 2012

So Many Questions AND SOME ANSWERS!

Yes, I have been figuring out more about how I will conduct my field study by the day, but here's the thing: I'm still a bit naive (for lack of a better word) when it comes to international travel and a lot of specifics about Italy. So, for this blog, I am going to draft a list of questions that I have about traveling and living in Italy. My goal will be to get these questions answered. :)

  1. How should I handle my money when in Italy? 
    1. There are lots of options, often best to carry cash. 
  2. Where/how should I carry it?
    1. You can buy money holders that are discrete. 
  3. Should I carry cash, or use a credit/debit card and take money out when I need it or pay with that?
    1. Cash, but since I'll be there for such a long time, I may be able to do okay with a credit card--I will just have to check the fees for taking out money at ATMs.
  4. What are the best places to meet young adults?
    1. Young adult ward
    2. Just in the town; networking. I was talking to a girl who did a similar project to mine on a field study and she said that she doesn't know how she would have survived without a facilitator and someone who spoke the language to connect her to other people. Makes me a bit nervous...
  5. What big safety precautions should I make sure to take?
    1. Don't go places alone, just use common sense. The girl I was just talking about actually dyed her hair brown to blend in more; that said, she was staying in Naples..
  6. What is travel like between different cities in Italy--is the train the best way to go? Should I purchase a Eurorail pass?
    1. There is the train, the metro and the bus system. I can buy a bus pass for about 32 Euros a month and get all around Rome (or where ever I end up staying)
  7. How much should I pack for 3 months?
    1. Always best to pack light (I guess that was obvious)
  8. How much does it cost to bring a suitcase on a plane?
    1. about $25 for 1st bag and $50 for 2nd.
  9. What are common things that people do during the week?
    1. No one had a solid answer, it just varies by where you are; in Rome young adults usually spend most of their time at school or work, similar to here.
  10. What are common things that people do on the weekends?
    1. Again, so variable, I didn't get a great answer.
  11. On Sunday?
    1. I spoke with a couple RMs who said that the young adults are not very into going to church. Members of the LDS church do, but outside of the church it is not as common.
  12. What is the church like in Italy?
    1. Quite long, most young adults don't go--according to the RMs that I spoke with.
  13. Are most Italians strong Catholics?
    1. Not the younger generations.
  14. How do people dress in Rome?
    1. Similar to here, appearance is definitely important to them.
  15. Will my curling iron/straighter work in the outlets?
    1. Nope, I'll need to buy an adapter. 
  16. What are some MUST SEE things in Italy?
    1. The list is too long to put in here, but anywhere I can go with the locals are the best--they can show me the little known places
  17. How is Rome different from a small town? Is it a lot less traditional? 
    1. A lot more of the 'melting pot' feel, but the RMs said that I will still be able to pick up on a ton of Italian Culture.
  18. What is the difference between Northern, Central, and Southern Italy?
    1. Northerners are definitely more educated and wealthy; Central (Around Rome) is much more diverse, and the South is described as having a lot of heart. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment