Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Challenges and Concerns in the Field

I really enjoyed our last class period, we had all of our field directors go to the front of the room to form a panel and discuss challenges, mainly unexpected ones, that they had while in their perspective countries. A few that stood out to me were 1) finding housing and 2) being alone. I don't know whether it's a good or a bad sign that I already know these things will be challenges...bad because I'm already having problems and I'm not even in the field yet. However, if I take the "glass half full" approach, then I guess I can look at this as a positive--I know now that they will be challenges, so I can work on diffusing them before I get to the field, right? Right.

Housing
Housing has definitely been more of a challenge that I originally had expected, a lot of this probably came from the fact that it took me so long to decide where I was going to live. But I've realized that, while it would be great to get help from others, this really is my responsibility--or at least it has become my responsibility since I am now going to Italy as an individual student. So, since I have exactly 37 days until I will be in ROME (how did that happen so quickly?), I have exactly 37 days to figure this out. While I'd love to figure it out today, my goal is to have it set in stone in 2 WEEKS. I think I've mentioned before that I'm networking with every connection I have to Italy--return missionaries, other students who have done field studies or even internships in Italy, and I recently got in contact with the head of the Italian department, who gave me their contact in Rome. I have been emailing back and forth the last couple of days--he is originally from Milan, but just got stationed in Rome and is actually still looking for a house for him and his family this moment. He said he would start asking around and see if he could find a room that a family might be willing to rent out. So, right now I definitely have my fingers crossed on this one! I really do want to stay in Rome, I have a couple other contacts outside of Rome. Honestly, this who experience has been a huge testimony builder--I'm learning to have faith and know that, as long as I do all that I can, things will work out. The Lord's plan is better than anything I can imagine, and part of His plan is His timing. So, I am trying as hard as I can, and putting my faith in the Lord that it will work out.

Being Alone








I'm telling you, a good majority of the times that I tell people about my plans for Italy, their reaction includes asking me, "Have you ever seen taken?" AKA: The movie where two young teenage girls go to Europe alone, make some dumb choices, and end up being taken by criminals who sell them to be sex slaves. My answer, "Yes, I've seen it, but I'm also much more mature, prepared and ready to take the necessary precautions for my safety." I do think these people have a point, going to a foreign country alone does come with it's risks, but I'm doing what I can now to diffuse them. I'm planning on living with a family in Rome, I'm not going with a friend alone and staying in an apartment. I've already started making friends with some of the young adults in Rome's Young Single Adult program, whose contact information I've gotten from Return Missionaries. While I don't want to limit my experience to hanging out and interviewing members of the church, I feel that the more friends I can make before I get there, the better. Sarah talked about how she was really lonely in the beginning, that it would have been nice to have someone to talk to about--anything and everything--at the end of the day. I think it will still take me building relationships and friendships once I get there, but I figure that breaching relationships right now will help me a lot my first few weeks in Rome.

Snap! I'm so excited!!!!! Yes, it will be tough, but aren't all things worth achieving?

No comments:

Post a Comment