Friday, March 30, 2012

Italian Fashion

I was talking to a girl who recently went on a field study to Italy (I think I've mentioned her, and this story before). She said that she felt really uncomfortable in Italy a great deal of the time; so, she ended up dying her hair brown so that she would fit in more. I definitely think that that was a dramatic move, but one that was obviously important to her. So, to help myself fit in--and not stick out like a total tourist--I decided to look up Italian fashion. And, while you might think this is a young woman's excuse to look at clothes, honestly, fitting into the culture is extremely important for me to have a full immersion experience, and even to do well on my project. I've talked with Sarah, my field director, and a girl in my class, Caitlyn, about style down there, but Sarah was in Rome during the fall, and Caitlyn spent all of her time in Northern Italy. Hence, I don't really know what types of clothes I should bring. I know my packing options will be limited, so I want to make sure that I what I do pack is appropriate for the weather, the culture, and so that I feel comfortable.

To do this, I decided to look up Roman fashion blogs, articles, and magazines so that I can get a good idea of what I want to pack. One thing I do know is that Rome is extremely humid in the summer. Anyhow, without  further ado, Roman Fashion!

I looked up an article titled "What to Wear for the Summer in Italy" on usatoday.com and here were some of their tips:

  • Italy travel writer Jessica Spiegel writes, "Truthfully, you can pack and wear whatever you want in Italy ... but it really is smart to think about what you are wearing and alter it slightly when visiting. You’ll fit in better, and feel more at home." 
  • What suits most Americans in the hot season is too informal for Italian fashion; go for longer shorts, dress and skirts; sandles are suitable; stilettos are extremely common! (Whaaa?)
  • Italians will often give up comfort (being to hot) rather than look sloppy; it would be a good idea to do some shopping down there.
  • While open "breezy" clothing is acceptable, it's always smart to bring a sweater with you to cover up in case you go into more formal places, like churches, where respect is necessary
  • No red tonails! Apparentely paiting your tonails in bright colors may look trashy to an Italian--this could be the best advice I've gotten so far
  • Steer clear from big backpacks, it's much more appropriate (and less touristy looking) if you bring a small purse
  • Black is probably the number one color for Italians--it looks good with almost everything and is easy to accessorize with
I think I will definitely pick up a lot while I'm there, but here are some photos that might help me focus on the type of clothes I plan to bring!





No comments:

Post a Comment