Monday, April 2, 2012

Cell Phone

The time is getting close and closer for me to go to Italy, and there are still a lot of little things that I really need to figure out before I get there, one being cell phones. I have talked to a few different people about purchasing a cell phone in Italy, but no one has given me direct advice, or connected me to any resources where I could get advice. So, I took it upon myself to do some research. :)


First of all, I think there are some huge benefits to having a cell phone abroad. Since I am not just a tourist, and will be immersed in the culture--with no other American students (at least none that I know of at this point), I am going to have to rely on myself, and the Italians I meet, to get around; they will be my social network. An important part of a social network is communication. I can't name one friend I know that does not have a cell phone in the U.S. While I cannot make a overarching statement about people in Italy, I am guessing that most--if not all--young adults there also have cell phones. Having a cell phone will not only be useful for getting around the city (when I get lost, which I know will happen), but it will be useful to hear about events going on. The first month I am in Italy, before doing any research, I hope that friends I meet might let me know of things that are going on through texting or calling (which is common here), rather than hoping I run into them so that they can tell me. When my research does actually start, having a cell phone will be a useful way for me to connect with participants and check in to make sure that we are on the same page as far as the timing and place of meetings goes.


Clearly, having a cell phone will be a huge benefit, but 1) What kind do I get, and 2) How do I get it?


Solutions: 



Purchase a SIM card for use with an unlocked GSM cell phone 
  1. must make sure the phone is 'unlocked' and compatible with other SIM cards
  2. SIM card determines phone's number and allows access to the service that particular SIM card supports
  3. Buy FOR (not in!) the country
  4. purchase from a dealer in the US who specializes in selling and renting cell phones for use abroad
  5. if you get it early, the number is embedded in the phone and I can give that number to friends and family; active SIM card when in the country
Rent or buy an unlocked GSM cell phone and prepaid sim card from Cellular Abraod
  1. local Italian number for calls in Italy
  2. Free incoming calls
  3. fixed low rate for calls to the US
  4. all menus in English
  5. 24 hour a day service
  6. include foreign adapter for charger
  7. come with small prepaid initial credit (4 Euros = 23 minutes calling in Italy, 11 to US)
  8. it's possible to buy additional prepaid minutes directly from Cellular Abraod when I place my order
  9. can easily add time while in Italy
  10. UNO mobile service


Italy SIM Card Rental and Purchase Options
http://goitaly.about.com/od/italytraveltips/qt/cell_phones.htm



SIM & Cell Phone Packages for Italy
http://www.cellularabroad.com/packages-italy.html



Well, now I know! Next step is probably talking with my parents and those that have lived in Italy, and figuring out which option is best for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment