Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Safeguarding My Money

I've got my cell phone plans almost all figured out for Italy, the next thing I need to worry about is money. I feel like my trip is so close at hand that I'm really getting down to a lot of the logistical details of my trip--which is great! It's also a little bit taunting. There are SOOO many little things I can do now, before I get to Europe, that will make my experience a lot less stressful when I'm actually there. The trick is trying to determine what all those little things are, and then making time to actually do them. Like I said before, I've got my cell phone situation figured out, and I have bought my International Student ID card--2 checks off my list. Now I'm trying to figure out how I will withdraw money, and when I have the money, how I will keep it secure.


I was reading online (http://goeurope.about.com/od/moneymatters/a/atm-card-fees.htm) about withdrawing money in Italy. There is a 250 Euro limit per day that I can draw out, and I've found that in the long run, it is better to withdraw larger amounts of money. This is because each bank charges different service fees and has associated costs for withdrawing money outside of the United States. This website tested several different debit/credit cards in Italy and fond the top four ones for international use. I was relieved to see that my bank, Wells Fargo, was among them. Sadly, it wasn't thee best--there is a $5 fee for all withdrawals, which is more than the 1% fee charged by a couple of other banks. Because of that, it will be important for me to make sure to always withdraw the maximum amount of money, so that I waste the least amount of money possible from service fees. 


A problem that comes with withdrawing the maximum amount of money is, of course, safeguarding my money.  Italy is somewhat well known for their pick-pocketers, and purse snatchers. The advice the website suggested was to keep the majority of my money and important documents (passport, etc.) in a travel security wallet or passport holder, worn under my clothing (which may be slightly uncomfortable), and then to carry a small amount of cash and one credit card in my purse, pocket, or pack.


One great piece of advice this website had was to take down the foreign phone number for each atm and credit card so that if it is lost or stole, I can report it. They also suggested making a photocopy of my passport--will do!! Obviously, I will be staying with a family, so I hope that I will be able to leave it there--in a safe and locked location.


Beyond that, some typical smart advice was things like: carrying my purse in front of me where I can easily see it, being aware of my surroundings, not putting my purse, day pack, or camera anywhere where someone could take it, and to close all zippers. Another precaution is to be aware of robbers use of diversions--like having someone hold a piece of cardboard in front of me to read, or using a child as a diversion while I am pick pocketed. Honestly, I don't think I would have thought much of that--being a foreigner, I think I'd have probably taken the time to read a sign or talk to a child. Ah, there is just so much to be aware of--these are great things to know! (http://goitaly.about.com/od/italytraveltips/qt/pickpockets.htm)

No comments:

Post a Comment