Sunday, March 18, 2012

What Questions to Ask?

I am going into the BYU travel agency tomorrow and purchasing my plane tickets! Once that's done, there is NO TURNING BACK! Which, by the way, I am beyond excited about. :) So, in less than 24 hours I will have my plane ticket to Italy and, in 41 days I will be on the plane to Italy. 41 days sounds like a decent amount, but then I think about ALL I have to do and prepare for before then. I'm not going to lie--it gets a little bit overwhelming... But, right now my focus is finishing up with my IRB proposal. It's due this Tuesday and one thing that I don't have ready for it yet, are the questions that I am going to ask my participants. In class, it was mentioned that the best way to figure out what questions you should ask is by knowing your participants. The problem: I don't know my participants. I've read things about Italy, of course, but not enough to form and articulate my actual questions. Unfortunately, for the sake of getting my project approved, I have to come up with some questions--at least sample questions--for my project. So, I am going to take this opportunity to draft some. I'm going to try to do it a little bit like a free write and, hopefully, some of the questions will stand out to me that I can use for my study.


  1. What are women in your society expected to do?
  2. Why are they expected to engage in these roles/behaviors?
  3. What are men in your society expected to do?
  4. Why are they expected to engage in these roles/behaviors? 
  5. Is it important to you to to engage in these gender-specific roles?
  6. What would be the consequences of not engaging in these roles? Cultural? Social? Personal?
  7. What are characteristics that you look for in a man/woman?
  8. What makes a woman a good wife and mother?
  9. What makes a man a good husband or father?
  10. What is a woman's role in the home?
  11. What is a man's role in the home?
  12. Whose role is more important in the home?
  13. Who (a man or a women) is more competent with home-based tasks?
  14. What is a woman's role in the workforce?
  15. What is a man's role in the workforce?
  16. Whose role is more important in the workforce?
  17. Who (a man or woman) is more competent with work-based tasks?
  18. What are your goals for the future? For work? Marriage? Raising a family?
  19. What do you want your role to be in the home? Why?
  20. What do you want your role to be in the work field? Why?
  21. If you were unable to contribute signficantly to a home-based role (providing emotionally), how would you feel?
  22. If you were unable to contribute significantly to a work-based role (providing financially), how would you feel?
  23. Do you feel like is it important in Italy for men and women to engage in gender-specific roles?
  24. Do you think a women not performing certain duties in the home--like raising children, cooking, and cleaning--means that she is in some ways a failure?
  25. Do you think a man not performing certain duties at home--like raising children, cooking, and cleaning--means that she is in some ways a failure? 
  26. Do you think a woman not performing certain duties at work--like providing financially (or even protecting her family)--means that she is in some ways a failure?  
  27. Do you think a man not performing certain duties at work--like providing financially (or even protecting his family)--means that he is in some ways a failure?  
Well, I think this is a good start! I've realized that I have some good questions to ask, but also that my questions need a lot of perfecting. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment