Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Am I Excited to Go on a Field Study?

Am I excited to go on a field study?

While there has been some recent debate, the final answer is........Yes!

Honestly, I have been having a lot of doubts lately. I was loosing sight of my purpose as a field study student. I signed up to go on a field study for several reasons, but among those reasons was definitely to be able to go with a group of students. Not that I am at all a dependent person, on the contrary, I have had numerous people comment on the my independence, BUT I guess my concern (for lack of a better word) was that I was paying BYU money, and all I was getting in return: RESTRICTION. Maybe I'll want to travel all around Europe instead of just staying in once place, maybe I'll to live with a member family where I felt safer, maybe I'll not be able to speak the language well enough to complete a quality project. I think the hardest part for me is I'm planning the next three months of my life based on what I THINK I'll want. It's a tough position to be in--I've been out of the country once (To London & Amsterdam) in high school, and I went with a sports team, where our days were planned out and organized. While it was a great experience, it wasn't the kind of travel experience that really gave me a good idea of what I'll want to do this summer. So, how do I make a decision?

Well, I decided to talk to my field director, Sarah--bless her heart for her patience with me. I told her EVERYTHING I was thinking, my thoughts, concerns, frustrations, and worries. She listened and talked with me for about an hour, and I feel like I was able to rediscover my focus and purpose. A big reason I chose to go to Italy, and not to 7 countries, was because I wanted to really learn about another culture and--now that I think about it--I still do. As far as my project goes, I feel like I will really be able to complete a good project (potentially a bit different than I initially imagined) and not waste my time and energy on something that will flop. I'm not just doing research as an excuse to go, I'm doing the kind of research that I love to do--I get to talk to people, and learn more about their lives! For some reason, I got caught up in the work load I could have, rather than the knowledge I can gain. Yes, I do want to have fun, BUT Yes I also do want to learn. I really feel like a field study gives me a purpose, and I'm glad I've refocused and decided to stick with the program. And hey, I can always travel a bit at the end of my trip :)

Ciao Bella!

No comments:

Post a Comment