Tuesday, February 21, 2012

When in Rome...

"When in Rome, do as the Romans do." Sounds easy enough, but it would definitely help to know what exactly the Romans do... While I think I'll definitely learn most when I'm actually living in Rome, submerged in the culture, I figured it wouldn't help to figure out some of the basic tips right now.


I think my Italian language class has been quite helpful, while I wish I'd been taking Italian since my freshman year, I figure that it's better late than never. At least I'll have a semi-solid language base to jump from when I get to Italy. I'm learning the basics and the grammar now, and hope that when I'm in a country where I'm forced to use them, I'll learn quickly. So, the language, I'm working on. But there are still some other things that I want to get down so that I'm not THAT tourist who sticks out like a sore thumb.


Things to know about Rome/Italy
1. Italians are typically loud, enthusiastic people and they speak with their hands; the idea of a person bubble in Italy is a foreign concept. They love talking to people, and aren't afraid to stare..
Luckily my personal bubble is
already fairly small :)


2. Style is extremely important to Romans, and it's important to follow their dress code. Your best bet is to dress conservatively and to always be classy--wearing shorts and a T-shirt to a restaurant is unacceptable.
Italian Street Fashion
3. Public transportation is excellent in large cities and the country is served by a vast network of trains and buses. Passes for both municipal transport and cross-country trips can be purchased online before you leave.








4. Meals are a important in Italy; lunch is a leisurely activity and dinner (which is never served before 8pm) is an important time where you can enjoy time with friends and family. The check comes when you ask for it, so feel free to linger.



1 comment:

  1. I really liked that you looked at all these different cultural things - I want to do that too! It will definitely help you have less culture shock and stick out less, which allows you more peace of mind to work on your project and course contracts and all that other fun stuff we have to do in the field : )

    ReplyDelete