Thursday, July 19, 2012

The End is Near at Hand!

Nothing like waiting until the last minute to finish up everything! I just completed my very last formal interview and it feels great! I've been working on formal and informal interviews for the past two months now and have learned more than I ever imagined I would. The hard part now is conveying everything I learned. I think I have come to terms with the fact that there are somethings that you can only learn, or at least fully understand, through experience. I have already started working on my final paper and it is surprisingly easy to write--the hard part will be keeping it concise and articulating well the many things that I have learned. :)

The interviews have been such wonderful experiences. Since I have worked as a Freshman Mentor for the past two years and am starting my master's program for Marriage and Family Therapy in the fall, I have grown pretty accustom to asking people, that I don't necessarily know very well, personal questions or details about their lives. That said, I am still surprised by how open people have been with me, especially when I have had to use a translator; in those situations, it's like they're telling intimate details about their lives to two strangers--not an easy thing.  I interviewed one girl who had been with her boyfriend for six years, had two children, and was only 18! After the interview, she told me that she it was a wonderful experience and that she told me things that she has never told people and things that her boyfriend didn't know. Her interview was probably the most dramatic, but she wasn't the only person who told me something like that afterwards, most did actually. :) This experience is amazing in and of itself, but what makes it even more meaningful is that I truly believe that it has changed me for the better and has helped prepare for my future career, and just for my future life in general.

It is funny what living in a different culture for three months can do to you, I feel like aspects of how I live and what I think have changed without even realizing it. I was having a conversation with a BYU student about courting and gender roles (my research topic), and the things I said were surprising me. I forget if I mentioned this before or not, but when I first got here I told myself, nothing is better or worse, just different, BUT--deep down--I still held onto the idea that my previous held/American ideas were better. Now, I find myself thinking more like an Italian in some aspects. Honestly, I really feel like I've kind of been able to find my own culture--I obviously understand American culture and I feel like I've come to understand the Italian culture as well; more than just the culture surrounding my topic, but just the culture in general. I respect both cultures and have gotten to a point where I can look at them and compare them more objectively. I can see the good, and some of the bad; I can see how each way of life and style of thinking work. I guess I have really just come to really internalize the idea that there aren't things that are better or worse about either culture, they're just different.

I truly am sad to go home at this point. I really thought that three months would feel like a long time, but my plane takes off in 3 1/2 days and I have such mixed feelings. I feel ready in the sense that I came her and made the most out of my experience. I know that I will be able to look back on my field study and not have regrets and have to think, 'Oh I wish I did that or took that opportunity.' At the same time, I have had such wonderful experiences here that I'm not quite ready for them to end--I have friends here, I have a way of life, I have a family...those are hard things to say goodbye to. I realize I'm going home to family, friends and a way of life that I've known twenty two years, but even still...

I was just hanging my clothes out on the clothes line and hand washing the dishes, and as much as I hated the fact that most Italians didn't use drying machines or dish washers when I got here, I have a feeling that I will miss those aspects of living here. There is a lot I will miss. That said, it's on to the next stage of life. My last few days will be great--going in to Rome tomorrow, sleeping on the beach with some friends that night and spending my last few days enjoying amazing people and the wonderful culture. :D I am so glad I chose to do a field study, where I've actually been able to get immersed in the culture. This was truly the experience of a lifetime!



No comments:

Post a Comment