Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Life is Good!

I am happy to report that things have really been looking up since I got my bag stolen. From the moment it happened, I tried to find the silver linings, but I am truly surprised at how many there have been. I went to an activity at the church that night and had an opportunity to talk to the missionary couple for the GANS (YSA) in Rome, I got a 'mom hug' from the Sister Krueger and asked Brother Krueger fora blessing. From that moment, everything took a turn for the better. Someone did a bad thing (stealing my bag), but I feel like I can hardly go a few minutes without  someone doing something nice and reminding me that people really are good.


 There were a couple students staying with my host family the weekend after my bag got stolen, and I decided to head into Rome with them Monday morning--they wanted to see some of the tourist sites and I needed to get my passport and pick up the money that my mom wired me. I got to the American Embassy around 1:30 to get my passport and had to wait until 2 to get in. The guards, in typical Italian fashion, were more than friendly--the first two I met offered to show me around Rome afterward, one offered to come to Bracciano and visit me, and a third suggested I meet him for drinks that night haha. I was allowed inside the embassy, under 'emergency circumstances', I went through security, and I made my way up to American affiars where I was denied a passport because I didn't have cash on me (and they wouldn't let me pay with my parent's card number). In a crunch for time, I went down to pick up the money that was wired to me; however, I was informed that I couldn't get without a passport. So there I was, lost for a solution--no passport without money, but no money without a passport. I went back to the embassy, explained my situation and they agreed to make me an alternative document that I could use to pick up the money, but then told me that I would have to come back the next morning to pick up my passport--which I did. Quite the hassle, but everyone was so nice, I actually think I might go back to visit again now because I've gotten to know so many of the employees! :) 
The students who were staying at my house; I went into Rome with them when I was getting my passport
Now, I think a change of subjects is in order--it happened, and I've moved on! I've finished half of my interviews and have the other half scheduled! I should be done by this weekend and I couldn't be more excited! I feel like I chose the best research project in the world, it's something I love to talk about and to learn about. I feel like I could write my final paper right now if I wanted to, and that I'm just doing the formal interviews to get the last checks off my Field Study To-Do list. I wish I had my computer everywhere and do a formal interview on the spot; I think that if I had brought a consent form a few more places that I would actually be done with my interviews, but no worries--I'm looking forward to the ones I have coming. :)


Challenges at this point....honestly, after getting past the huge hump, it's hard to even complain. I think more than anything, I'm just sad that I only have three weeks left here. I can't believe how quickly time has passed!


Lessons I've learned: Like I said before, people in general are just good--I love how I can come to a new country, live away from my family and friends and still feel so loved. I've definitely had my moments where I've felt alone, I think anyone would. That said, I think Italians are some of the most kind, open, and loving people. I decided that I didn't want to do homework this morning, so I just road my bike into Bracciano city and walked all around the city (it's not huge). After about 30 minutes, I made some new friends, grabbed some fruit juice with them at a nearby bar (not American type bar, what we would consider more of a cafe), and invited them to come play water and beach volley with me and some more of my friends tonight. Really, I don't know how I could complain about life.
Playing Water Volley in Bracciano Lake--where I live

4 comments:

  1. Hey, Kierea, sorry about your bag getting stolen. I am glad that you have gotten through it OK and that people are so supportive there. It;s true that wherever you go there are always nice people who want to help. I also had a mishap with my computer. The hard drive somehow broke and I have about a week;s worth of data that got lost. Basically, my computer is useless till I can get to the states to fix it, so I will be without a computer the rest of my time here in Mexico. Anyway, Italy sounds amazing. Good luck with everything¡

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad everything is working out. Is everything okay with your data or did this set back your project a lot?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so sorry about your bag, I felt so bad about that!! I would have totally given you a HUGE hug. you are such a good example of keeping a positive attitude! I like how you are always looking for the positive in people. In my own experience, I think that a country's greatest asset is its people.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sorry about your bag! But its a good story for a field studies experience right? haha. If it makes you feel better, your pictures are amazing and I am so jealous of you just heading off to Rome like it is nothing. Good for you for just moving forward and continuing to make the best of a once in a lifetime opportunity. Being adaptable makes cultural immersion that much better.

    ReplyDelete