Tuesday, January 17, 2012

I'm Going to Italy! Now What?

I don't think I can adequately put into words how excited I am to travel to Italy and to be immersed in the culture--to experience life as an Italian does. I'm currently enrolled in an accelerated Italian class and am already realizing that this trip will be amazing, but not without challenges--my mastery of the language being the first. I have spent the last four years studying psychology and am excited to enter into a Marriage and Family Therapy program in the fall. The structure and function of the family unit intrigues me and I cannot wait to learn more about the Italian family.

When I first began working on my proposal for my field study, I wanted to learn more about premarital perceptions and how those affect marriage outcomes. I have always wanted to go to Italy and when I looked further into research on marriage in Italy, I was blown away by how low their cohabitation and divorce rates were. I wanted to know what about their marriages were different than marriages in the United States that made them more successful (in terms of longevity). Having taking classes of marriage, I knew that misperceptions about marriage can often lead to problems and difficulty in marriage; I decided to research what perceptions about marriage young adults in Italy had and if they were more accurate than their American cohort. I believe that these perceptions may be a factor in marriage success.

However I have also realized that while I want to see if there is any correlation concerning marriage perceptions, I would be missing out on so much of the culture about Italian Marriage if I made my research only about the young adult individuals, and not about the Italian family. I want to see if Italians have an accurate perception of marriage during their single years, but to know that--I must first have an accurate perception of the Italian marriage, and how that fits into the Italian family, the Italian community, and the Italian  culture. Luckily for me, I have over 3 months to mold my research into a project and to become capable of asking the right questions. I've heard that if you don't ask the right questions, you won't get the right answers.


My New Goal: Find the RIGHT questions!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Kierea! I enjoyed your post and am glad to read a bit on your project! Here are a couple of questions I asked as I was reading: is there such thing as an accurate or inaccurate perception? How can one measure whether a perception is accurate or inaccurate? I kind of feel like marriage is seen so differently by so many individuals based on their experiences that there may not be one accurate perception of it. I'm not the expert on this and am not pretending to be or anything, but those were my thoughts. What do you think?

    ReplyDelete